BELMONT MARKET OVERVIEW
- The Belmont Newmarket was first run in 1945 and won by Lord Treat, who was again successful and repeated the feat the following year.
- The Listed Belmont Newmarket is the first feature race of the 2018-22019 Perth racing season.
- Colin Webster and Allan Taylor hold the best training record in the Belmont Newmarket with three wins each.
- Webster: Wolf City (1976), Prince Brighton (1978) & Eastern Standard (2004).
- Taylor: Micron (1979-1980) & Wool Zone (1982).
- Current day trainers Neville Parnham: Blonde Jev (1991) & Call Me Henry (2005), Ross Price: Medicine Kid (1993) & Smoko (2014), David Harrison: Casper Cowboy (2010) & Settle Strada (2013) and Simon Miller: First Among Equals (2016) & Meteoroid (2017) are two time winners.
- Three trainers have prepared the Belmont Newmarket winner in successive years, but no trainer has won it in three straight years in a row.
- Australian Hall Fame trainer Colin Hayes was a Belmont Newmarket winner when he prepared Desirable in 1977.
- Paul Harvey has dominated the Belmont Newmarket with seven wins, two clear of his next rival, Frank Treen.
- Harvey won his first Belmont Newmarket with Bradson (1987) and continued on Willoughby (1998), Marasco (2007), Vizard (2008), Escadaire (2009), Kid Choisir (2011) & First Among Equals (2016).
- Frank Treen became the first rider to win a hatrick in the Belmont Newmarket: Eulogium (1948), The Drone (1949). Quicksand (1950) before completing a quintet on All India (1961) & Bernguard (1962).
- Peter Knuckey has one victory in the Belmont Newmarket: Jubilee Myth (1953), his son Peter matched the feat when he partnered the Greg Harper-trained News Review in 1999.
- Sitting behind Paul Harvey and Frank Treen on three wins each are William Pike and Frank Moore.
- Pike took out his maiden Belmont Newmarket on Wire Detonator (2006) before combining with Casper Cowboy (2010) and Smoko (2014).
- Brad Parnham joined his father Neville on the Belmont Newmarket honour roll after teaming up with Call Me Henry (2005).
- As a 9-year-old Medicine Kid was the oldest horse to win the Belmont Newmarket in 1993 when ridden by Jeremy Hustwitt.
- Willoughby was an 8-year-old when he scored in 1998 for trainer Michael Pateman.
- 5-year-olds hold the best record with 31 wins.
- 4-year-olds have been successful on 16 occasions.
- Geldings have dominated the Belmont Newmarket with 41 wins including 15 of the past editions.
- Horses have won 17 races, but the previous was Pago Mystery (1990).
- Mares have won 12 Belmont Newmarket’s including two out of the previous three with Meteoroid (2017) and Wink And A Nod (2015).
- Barriers three and four are the most successful Belmont Newmarket starting positions since records have been kept from 1966.
- They have won the Belmont Market nine times.
- Barriers six, seven and 10 are next with six wins.
- Barrier two is the least successful with no wins.
- Barrier three has been successful four out of the previous seven Belmont Newmarket’s.
BELMONT NEWMARKET 2000-2017
|2017||Meteoroid||Simon Miller||Joe Azzopardi|
|2016||First Among Equals||Simon Miller||Paul Harvey|
|2015||Wink And A Nod||Justin Warwick||Lucy Warwick|
|2014||Smoko||Ross Price||William Pike|
|2013||Settle Strada||David Harrison||Pat Carbery|
|2012||Cavallo Pazzo||Ted Martinovich||Kyra Yuill|
|2011||Kid Choisir||Allen McNamara||Paul Harvey|
|2010||Casper Cowboy||David Harrison||William Pike|
|2009||Escadaire||Frank Maynard||Paul Harvey|
|2008||Vizard||George Daly||Paul Harvey|
|2007||Marasco||Fred Kersley||Paul Harvey|
|2006||Wire Detonator||Sharon Miller||William Pike|
|2005||Call Me Henry||Neville Parnham||Brad Parnham|
|2004||Eastern Standard||Colin Webster||Troy Turner|
|2003||Fair Alert||Ray Sweetman||Alana Williams|
|2002||Kaprats||Warren Radford||Paul King|
|2001||Prince Of Pop||Tom Little||Shaun McGruddy|
|2000||Fly My Kite||Rob Mathews||John Claite|