Prince Of Wales Stakes Overview
• The Prince Of Wales Stakes was first run in 1969 and won by Sherolythe. It has held Group 3 status since 1979. The 2016 edition of the race consists of a field of 11 starters.
• Prince Of Wales Stakes History: Trainers.
• Jim Taylor stands out on his own with four winners in a decade: Golden Delicious (2004), Idyllic Prince (2007-2009) and Barakey (2013).
• David Harrison is next with a hat trick of wins: Century Blazer (1995) and Waratah’s Secret (2010-2011).
• Simon Miller will become the seventh horseman to win the Prince Of Wales twice If First Among Equals wins.
• Grant Williams is searching for his second win and first in combination with his co-trainer and wife, Alana Williams.
• The Williams’ stable have two of the 11 acceptors: Battle Hero and Silverstream.
• Alana Williams can join Christine Stelmach, who prepared Dark Target (2008), as the previous female to train the winner of the Prince Of Wales Stakes.
• Grant Williams trained Elite Belle to victory in 2014.
• George Daly prepared Jacks Or Better in 1994. He can win it a second time as an owner. He races exciting gelding Vega Magic with brother, Wally.
• Chris Gangemi (Rock Magic-Bourne Supremacy), Daniel Pearce (Travinator), Sean Casey (Vega Magic), Ross Price (Smoko), Geoff Durrant & Jason Miller (Regal Commander), Justin Warwick (Cool Passion) and Gary Crispin (Volkoff) can be first time winners of the Prince Of Wales Stakes.
Prince Of Wales History: Jockey’s.
• Jason Brown and Ian Albuino lead the way with four wins each in the Prince Of Wales Stakes.
• The former partnered Golden Delicious (2004), Idyllic Prince (2007-2009) and Barakey (2013).
• The latter combined with Golden Heights (1980), Latin Saint (1981), Fimiston (1988) and Pago’s King (1992).
• Peter Knuckey (Bourne Supremacy), Paul Harvey (Cool Passion) and William Pike (Battle Hero), will aim to join Stephen Miller, Paul King and Tiger Moore as triple winners.
• Knuckey won previously with Daring Hombre (1993) And Power Princess (2012), Harvey on Waratah’s Secret (2010-2011) and Pike partnered Dark Target (2008) and Elite Belle (2014).
• Glenn Smith won last year’s race in an upset aboard Akhedasset. He can become the sixth jockey to win back-to-back races if successful with Silverstream.
• Jason Whiting, who steered home Kaprats (2003) and Glenn Smith, partnering Akhedasset (2015), can win dual Prince Of Wales Stakes on Volkoff and Silverstream respectively.
• Jarrad Noske (Rock Magic), Brad Parnham (First Among Equals), Alan Kennedy (Travinator), Jake Casey (Vega Magic), Troy Turner (Smoko) and Peter Hall (Regal Commander), can post their first Prince Of Wales Stakes wins.
• Brad Parnham is looking to end his Prince Of Wales Stakes hoodoo after placings previously aboard: Checkpoint (2014-2013) and Electic (2005).
• Peter Hall has also gone close, two runner-up finishes when combining with Grand Nirvana (2011) and Royal Lott (2008).
• Jake Casey is the only apprentice in the 2016 edition of the Prince Of Wales Stakes, but cannot claim.
Prince Of Wales Stakes History: Barriers.
• Bourne Supremacy will be out to maintain the dominance of barrier one, 11 horses have been successful from the inside gate.
• Next best with five wins are barriers three, four and seven where First Among Equals, Travinator and Battle Hero do battle respectively.
• Rock Magic will have to overcome the least successful barrier for Saturday’s encounter with only one winner starting from gate 10.
Prince Of Wales Stakes History: Gender.
• Geldings have dominated the race since its inception, winning 27 times. A 28th success rests with Rock Magic, First Among Equals, Battle Hero, Travinator, Vega Magic, Smoko, Regal Commander, and Bourne Supremacy.
• Cool Passion, Volkoff and Silverstream will attempt to end a lean run for mares, eight have been successful since 1969.
Prince Of Wales Stakes History: Barriers.
• Barrier one has produced 11 wins, the most of any starting position in the Prince Of Wales Stakes. Bourne Supremacy jumps from the prized inside gate on Saturday.
• First Among Equals, Travinator and Battle Hero will start from barriers three, four and seven respectively, the next best gate positions with five wins each.
• Two horses have won from barrier 11. Cool Passion can make it three. Only one horse has taken out the race out from barrier 10. Rock Magic looking to extend that record.
Prince Of Wales Stakes History: Age.
• First Among Equals, Battle Hero, Regal Commander, Bourne Supremacy, Cool Passion, Volkoff and Silverstream, represent five-year-olds who have won 13 editions of the Prince Of Wales Stakes-a race best.
• Vega Magic is the lone four-year-old in Saturday’s field, that group having won the Group 3 feature on 11 occasions.
• Rock Magic will attempt to become the sixth seven-year-old to win. Travinator can break a drought and post the first eight-year-old victory.
Prince Of Wales Stakes History: Lead-Up Race.
• Since 2000 seven of the previous winners of the Prince Of Wales Stakes either won or placed at their previous starts and five won first-up.
• Cool Passion was a last-start winner, First Among Equals, Rock Magic, Battle Hero, Vega Magic and Regal Commander are starting off their preparations.
RWWA: Julio Santarelli