2014 marks the 10-Year Anniversary of National Jockeys Celebration Day and the National Jockeys’ Trust.
National Jockeys Celebration Day and the National Jockeys’ Trust was officially launched at Parliament House, Canberra, on 2 March 2004 in the presence of the Prime Minister of Australia, the Hon John Howard MP.
Jockeys representing each Australian State and Territory during the launch were John Nisbet (ACT); Corey Brown (NSW); Barry Huppatz (NT), Glen Colless (QLD); Clare Lindop (SA); Jodi Borrett (TAS), Stephen Baster (VIC) and Paul Harvey (WA).
National Jockeys Celebration Day is now an annual day of remembrance on the first weekend in August each year, the day celebrates the achievements of former and current jockeys, commemorates those who have lost their lives and raises awareness and funds for the National Jockeys’ Trust to help us to support injured or ill jockeys and their families.
The National Jockeys’ Trust will have a commemorative 10-Year Anniversary pin available to purchase at all meetings over National Jockeys Celebration Day weekend for $10, will all proceeds going to the National Jockeys’ Trust
National Jockeys Celebration Day activities around Australia include:
- Race Names: National Jockeys Celebration Day Handicap
- Minute Silence
- Blessing of the Track
- 10-Year Commemorative Pin
- National Jockeys Trust merchandise sales on course
- National Jockeys Celebration Day Ambassadors
- Presentation to each host race club – framed 2004 Parliament House launch photo with plaque.
National Jockeys Celebration Day activities at Belmont on 2 August:
- Race Name – National Jockey Celebration Day Handicap
- Minute Silence and Blessing of the Track– takes place prior to the National Jockeys Celebration Day Handicap
- National Jockeys Trust jockey colours to be worn by the top weight in that race.
- National Jockeys Trust Saddlecloths & Strappers Bibs to be worn in NJCD Handicap.
- National Jockeys Trust 10-Year Commemorative Pin Sales on Course
- National Jockeys Trust merchandise on course
1 Aug: Carnarvon
3 Aug: Kalgoorlie