The Group 1 Winterbottom Stakes headlines day 2 of the Ascot Masters on Saturday.
The race has been won by a host of top line sprinters going back to the races inception in 1952.
Below is an overview of the race.
WINTERBOTTOM STAKES OVERVIEW
- The Winterbottom Stakes has been staged since 1952.
- WA Racing Hall Of Fame inductee Raconteur won the first edition of the race, trained by Eddie Spencer and ridden by Eric Treffone.
- Eric Treffone would go on to win a second Winterbottom Stakes, but as a trainer when he prepared Watersan in 1965.
- The Winterbottom Stakes has held elite Group 1 status since 2011. It was a Group 2 race from 1979 to 2010.
- From 1952 to 1992 it was run over 1400m. Since 1993 is has been run as a 1200 metre event. In 2003 the race was staged at Belmont Park.
- There are six dual winners of the Winterbottom Stakes: Asteroid (1953-55), La Trice (1970-71), Belinda’s Star (1975-76), Hardrada (2002-2003), Ortensia (2009-2011) & Buffering (2013-2015).
- Notable winners include Buffering (2013-15), Raconteur, Nicopolis (1962), Jacks Or Better (2005), Placid Ark (1987), Fimiston (1986), Asian Beau (1979), Miss Andretti (2005) & Takeover Target (2008) & Barakey (2012).
- Wally Mitchell is the most successful trainer with three winners: Scarlet Gem (1980), Nitro Lad (1982) & Placid Ark (1987).
- Nine trainers are next with two wins each including current trainers Sharon Miller, Lou Luciani and Jim Taylor.
- The Mueller family have trained two winners of the Winterbottom Stakes: Brian looked after the preparation of La Trice (1971), his son David joined him on the honour roll when Miss Andretti took it out in 2005.
- Frank Treen and John Miller share the Winterbottom Stakes record
- Treen won the first of four aboard Fairflow (1957) and followed up on Big Bob (1963), Copper Son (1964) and Railway Boy (1967).
- Miller guided On Guard (1960), La Trice (1971), Soldier Of Fortune (1981) & Jungle Mist (1985).
- Jason Brown rode three winners: Bradson (1998), Barakey (2012) & Magnifisio (2014).
- Treen was the first jockey to go back-to-back in the Winterbottom.
- Peter Knuckey Snr won on McHarry (1956); son Peter was successful 44 years later aboard Noble Sky.
GENDER SINCE 2000
- Geldings have won 14 of the past 20 editions.
- Mares have been successful on six occasions.
- The last mare to win: Viddora (2017).
- Barrier 8 has recorded 5 wins
- Barrier 13 has been successful four times including 2 out of the past 3 years.
- Barriers 1, 2 and 5 have won two each.
- Barriers 3, 11, 14, 15 and 16 have had no wins.
LEAD UP RACES SINCE 2000
- 7 winners have won their previous race including Elite Street (2020).
- 3 have been placed.
FASTEST TIME (1200m)
- Ortensia: 1.08.56sec. (2009).
FAVOURITES SINCE 2000
- Buffering was the previous favourite to win in 2015.
- Hadabeclorka the longest priced winner at $41.
- Marasco was sent out at $1.80 in 2006.
|2020||Elite Street||Brad Rawiller||Dan Morton|
|2019||Hey Doc||Luke Currie||T & C McEvoy|
|2018||Voodoo Lad||Damien Oliver||Darren Weir|
|2017||Viddora||Joe Bowditch||Lloyd Kennewell|
|2016||Takedown||Tom Clark||Gary Moore|
|2015||Buffering||Damian Browne||Rob Heathcote|
|2014||Magnifisio||Jason Browne||Jim Taylor|
|2013||Buffering||Damian Browne||Rob Heathcote|
|2012||Barakey||Jason Brown||Jim Taylor|
|2011||Ortensia||Craig Williams||Paul Messara|
|2010||Hadabeclorka||William Pike||Brent Larsson|
|2009||Ortensia||Craig Williams||Tony Noonan|
|2008||Takeover Target||Jay Ford||Joe Janiak|
|2007||Glory Hunter||Luca Camilleri||Lindsey Smith|
|2006||Marasco||Damian Oliver||Fred Kersley|
|2005||Miss Andretti||Kevin Forrester||David Mueller|
|2004||Ellicorsam||William Pike||Sharon Miller|
|2003||Hardrada||Jason Whiting||Lou Luciani|
|2002||Hardrada||Jason Whiting||Lou Luciani|
|2001||Fair Alert||Alana Williams||Ray Sweetman|
|2000||Noble Sky||Peter Knuckey||John Price|