BELGRAVIA STAKES OVERVIEW
- The Belgravia Stakes has been run since 1898 and was first won by Scarpia. The son of Neckersgat, ridden by L.Kirk, ran the 1400m sprint in 1.18.00sec.
- Neckersgat was also the sire of the 1899 winner Tarquin, who was owned by George Towton and ridden by H.Lawrence.
- Some notable winners of the race include Raconteur (1952), Nicopolis (1962), Jungle Mist (1984), Jungle Dawn (1986), McFlirt (1997), Paris Petard (2006) and Waratah’s Secret (2010).
- Grant Williams holds the best record in the Belgravia Stakes with four winners in the past five years.
- As a solo trainer Williams prepared a winning hatrick: Arcadia Rose (2013), Disposition (2014) and Perfect Reflection (2015).
- The Williams combination will be represented in the 2018 edition of the Belgravia Stakes with Mystery Miss.
- Last year (2017) in combination with his wife Alana, he went past Norm Fawcett, Lou Luciani and Trevor Andrews as a four-time winner with Perfect Jewel.
- Norm Fawcett went back-to-back with London Flyer (1967) and Racalyn (1968) before claiming a third with Blue Nucleus (1976).
- Trevor Andrews can join the Williams team on four wins when he saddles Princess Pierro.
- He previous wins have been with The Right Money (2002), Manjar (2005) and King Saul (2011).
- Simon Miller, who has six of the representatives in Saturday’s Belgravia Stakes, is chasing his third victory after previous success with Miss Solis (2012) and Caipirinha (2016).
- David Harrison, who saddles Chix Pic, has won the race previously with McFlirt (1997) and Waratah’s Secret (2009).
- Neville Parnham hopes of a second success rest with Super Stardom after Even Astar won in 2010.
- Steve Wolfe, Robert and Todd Harvey, Tony Ward, Roy Rogers and Sharon Miller are aiming for their first victory.
- Tiger Moore holds the honour as the most successful rider of the Belgravia Stakes.
- Moore: Hillian (1942), Shonner (1947), Emporium (1957), Baccare (1965) and Tricar (1970).
- Frank Treen is next with four: Jovial Lad (1950), Maniana (1954), Double Trust (1972) and Elegant Shell (1979).
- William Pike has a chance of joining Treen as a four-time winner after guiding Arcadia Rose (2013), Perfect Reflection (2015) and Perfect Jewel (2017).
- Before co-training Perfect Jewel last year, Alana Williams won the race as a jockey in 2004 when partnering Stormy Nova.
- Shaun McGruddy, Jason Brown, Peter Knuckey, Paul Harvey, Shaun O’Donnell, Pat Carbery, Joe Azzopardi and Jason Whiting are looking to add another Belgravia Stakes scalp.
- Carbery is after a third followings wins on Megatic (2007) and Miss Solis (2012).
- O’Donnell also after three wins after guiding Bold Kite (1991) and King Saul (2011).
- Knuckey won his double aboard Tennessee Rule (1992) and Old Fashion (2002).
- Whiting can claim a hat trick following success with The Right Money (2002) and Moccasin Bend (2008).
- Harvey enjoyed wins on Manjar (2005) and Waratah’s Secret (2009).
- Chris Parnham, who will ride Super Stardom for his dad Neville, can join brothers Steven (Even Astar) and Brad (Disposition) on the Belgravia Stakes honour roll.
- Joe Azzopardi is looking for his second victory after combining with Caipirinha (2016).
- Brown scored his first Belgravia Stakes victory after partnering Island Morn (1993).
- Aaron Mitchell, Dan Staeck, Ben Paterson, Lucy Warwick, Randy Tan and Craig Staples are chasing their first Belgravia Stakes win.
BELGRAVIA STAKES GENDER
- Colts have won the Belgravia Stakes 45 on occasions
- Geldings have been successful 33 times.
- Fillies have won the race 31 times previously including eight of the last 12 years and the past three in succession.
- Mares have won the Listed race seven times.
- Entires have had three wins in the race’s history.
BELGRAVIA STAKES BARRIERS SINCE 1966
- Barrier six the most successful starting position with seven victories.
- Barriers one, three and five have had six wins
- Barrier nine has recorded five wins.
- Barrier 10 has had four wins from the starting position.
- Barrier eight and 12: three victories.
- Barriers four and 13: two wins.
- Barriers seven, 11 and 16 have won once each.
- The least successful barriers are 14 and 15 which have not recorded wins.
BIGGEST WINNING MARGIN SINCE 1997.
Waratah’s Secret by 3 ¾ lengths in 2009.
- 11 out of the past 21 editions of the Belgravia Stakes have been won by favourites.
LEAD IN PREPARATION.
- 14 out of the past 20 winners of the Belgravia Stakes have either won or finished first three in their previous races.
- Two of the winners finished fourth and sixth respectively in their previous race.
- Four of the 20 winners were first up into the Belgravia Stakes.