The $150,000 Listed Belmont Newmarket is the first feature race of the 2019-2020 racing season.
Below is an overview of the race
BELMONT NEWMARKET OVERVIEW
- The Belmont Newmarket was first run in 1945 and won by Lord Treat, who was again successful and repeated the feat the following year.
- The Listed Belmont Newmarket is the first feature race of the 2018-2019 Perth racing season.
- Colin Webster and Allan Taylor hold the best training record in the Belmont Newmarket with three wins each.
- Webster: Wolf City (1976), Prince Brighton (1979) & Eastern Standard (2005).
- Taylor: Micron (1980-1981) & Wool Zone (1983).
- Current day trainers Neville Parnham: Blonde Jev (1992) & Call Me Henry (2006), Ross Price: Medicine Kid (1994) & Smoko (2015), David Harrison: Casper Cowboy (2011) & Settle Strada (2014) and Simon Miller: First Among Equals (2016) & Meteoroid (2017) are two time winners.
- Three trainers have prepared the Belmont Newmarket winner in successive years, but no trainer has won it three straight years in a row.
- Paul Harvey has dominated the Belmont Newmarket with eight wins, two clear of his next rival, Frank Treen.
- Harvey won his first Belmont Newmarket with French Sound (1997), Bradson (1998), Willoughby (1999), Marasco (2008), Vizard (2009), Escadaire (2010), Kid Choisir (2012) & First Among Equals (2017).
- Frank Treen became the first rider to win a hatrick in the Belmont Newmarket: Eulogium (1948), The Drone (1949). Quicksand (1950) before completing a quintet on All India (1960) & Bernguard (1961).
- Peter Knuckey Sr has one victory in the Belmont Newmarket: Jubilee Myth (1953), his son Peter matched the feat when he partnered the Greg Harper-trained News Review in 1999.
- Sitting behind Paul Harvey and Frank Treen on three wins each are William Pike and Frank Moore.
- Pike took out his maiden Belmont Newmarket on Wire Detonator (2007) before combining with Casper Cowboy (2011) and Smoko (2015).
- Brad Parnham joined his father Neville on the Belmont Newmarket honour roll after teaming up with Call Me Henry (2006).
- As a 9-year-old Medicine Kid was the oldest horse to win the Belmont Newmarket in 1994 when ridden by Jeremy Hustwitt.
- Willoughby was an 8-year-old when he scored in 1999 for trainer Michael Pateman.
- 5-year-olds hold the best record with 32 wins.
- 4-year-olds have been successful on 16 occasions.
- Geldings have dominated the Belmont Newmarket with 42 wins.
- Horses have won 17 races, but the previous was Pago Mystery (1990).
- Mares have won 12 Belmont Newmarket’s including two out of the previous five with Meteoroid (2018) and Wink And A Nod (2016).
- Barriers three is the most successful Belmont Newmarket starting positions since records have been kept from 1966 with 10 wins.
- Barriers six, seven and 10 are next with six wins.
- Barrier two is the least successful with no wins.
- Barrier three has been successful five out of the previous eight Belmont Newmarket’s.
BELMONT NEWMARKET WINNERS 2000-2019
||First Among Equals
||Wink And A Nod
||Ross & Clint Price
||Call Me Henry
||Prince Of Pop
||Fly My Kite