The Belmont Sprint headlines winter racing at Belmont on Saturday. It was first won by Freestyle in 1963, a three-year-old colt trained by Buster O’Malley. Here is a further overview of the Group race.
BELMONT SPRINT: OVERVIEW
- It was run over 1200m from 1963-72 & 1974-77, 1300m from 1973 & 1978-81; 1400 since 1982.
- Since 1980 it has held Group 3 status.
- Notable winners included Luckygray, Grand Nirvana, Marasco, Rock Magic, Elite Belle and Let Go Thommo.
BELMONT SPRINT JOCKEYS
- Paul Harvey and Dan Staeck share the best Belmont Sprint riding record with three wins each.
- Harvey: Modem (2004), Marasco (2008) & Universal Ruler (2009).
- Staeck: Grand Nirvana (2010-2011) & Kerrific (2013).
- Danny Miller, John Wilson, Mark Sestich, Paul Dyson, Link Robertson and Pat Carbery and Lucy Warwick are dual winners of the Belmont Sprint.
- Staeck Harvey and Wilson are the only hoops to win the Belmont Sprint in successive years.
- Father and son Ross and Craig Staples share bragging rights; the former guided home Clear Mak (1973), the latter followed up on Corporate Bruce (2001).
BELMONT SPRINT TRAINERS
- Fred Kersley has trained a record four Belmont Sprint’s. His first arrived in 1993 courtesy of Dynamor and continued with Marasco (2008), Grand Nirvana (2010-2011).
- Kersley leads by two over Grant Williams, Buster O’Malley, Harold Campbell Brian Boyle and Justin Warwick.
- Boyle and Williams are the only successive trainers of the race. Boyle: National Boy (1978-1979), Williams: Elite Belle and Shining Knight (2014-2015).
BELMONT SPRINT GENDER
- The boys have it over the girls since the inception of the Belmont Sprint.
- 35 geldings have recorded wins.
- Mares and horses have won it seven times each.
- The last mare to win: Wink And A Nod (2016).
BELMONT SPRINT BARRIERS
- Barriers one and five have recorded seven wins
- Barrier one has been successful in three of the past five years.
- Barriers two and six are the second most successful starting positions.
- Barriers 14, 15 and 17 have not recoded wins.
BELMONT SPRINT/FASTEST TIME
- Fastest time recorded over current distance (1400m): Another Omen-1.21.68 in 1987.
BELMONT SPRING AGE
- Four and five-year-old’s have won the race on 18 and 19 times respectively.
- Six-year-olds have been successful on nine occasions
- Three three-year-old’s have shone through six times
- As seven-year-olds Rock Magic (2017) and Countlike (1970) are the oldest horses to win the Belmont Sprint.
BELMONT SPRINT/ROMA CUP
- Santaland (1968), Firelight (1969), Clear Mac (1973), Craigie Boy (1975), National Boy (1979), Tangiers (1980), Tribula (2003), Modem (2004), Grand Nirvana (2011) and Luckygray (2012) & Rock Magic (2017).
- Since 2000 11 of the past winners were successful at their previous starts
- Four were first up in their campaigns
- Five were Roma Cup winners
PAST WINNERS SINCE 2000
|2018||Material Man||Lucy Warwick||Justin Warwick|
|2017||Rock Magic||Jarrad Noske||Chris Gangemi|
|2016||Wink And A Nod||Lucy Warwick||Justin Warwick|
|2015||Shining Knight||Peter Hall||Grant Williams|
|2014||Elite Belle||William Piuke||Grant Williams|
|2012||Luckygray||Shaun O’Donnell||Gino Poletti|
|2011||Grand Nirvana||Dan Staeck||Fred Kersley|
|2010||Grand Nirvana||Dan Staeck||Fred Kersley|
|2009||Universal Ruler||Paul Harvey||Darren McAuliffe|
|2008||Marasco||Paul Harvey||Fred Kersley|
|2007||Beat The Storm||Pat Carbery||Ross Price|
|2006||Let Go Thommo||Link Robertson||Steve Ryan|
|2005||Who Did It||Pat Carbery||Viv Ferrier|
|2004||Modem||Paul Harvey||Trevor Andrews|
|2003||Tribula||Stephen Miller||Arthur Mortimer|
|2002||Dark N Dangerous||Troy Turner||Ken Shanks|
|2001||Corporate Bruce||Craig Staples||Hec McLaren|
|2000||News Review||Paul Dyson||Lindsey Smith|