The $200,000 G3 Belmont Sprint is the feature event this weekend, a feature winter race of the season that has seen a fine array of star WA gallopers grace the honour roll.
Below is a snapshot of the race’s history, going back to its inception in 1963.
BELMONT SPRINT OVERVIEW
- The Belmont Sprint was first staged in 1963 and won by Free Style.
- It was held over 1200m from 1963-72 & 1974-77, 1300m from 1973 & 1978-81 and 1400 since 1982.
- Since 1980 it has held Group 3 status.
- Burgess Queen (1977), Let Go Thommo (2006), Modem (2004), Luckygray (2012), Grand Nirvana (2010-2011), Rock Magic (2017), Marasco (2008) & Universal Ruler (2009).
BELMONT SPRINT JOCKEYS.
- Pat Carbery, Paul Harvey and Dan Staeck share the best Belmont Sprint riding record with three wins each.
- Harvey: Modem (2004), Marasco (2008) & Universal Ruler (2009).
- Staeck: Grand Nirvana (2010-2011) & Kerrific (2013).
- Carbery: Who Did It (2005), Beat The Storm (2007) & Perfect Jewel (2020).
- Staeck, Harvey and John Wilson are the only hoops to win the Belmont Sprint in successive years.
- Wilson won on National Boy (1978-1979).
BELMONT SPRINT TRAINERS
- Fred Kersley has trained four Belmont Sprint winners. His first arrived in 1993 courtesy of Dynamor and continued with Marasco (2008) and Grand Nirvana (2010-2011).
- Grant & Alana Williams have won three: Elite Belle (2014), Shining Knight (2015) & Galaxy Star (2019).
- Darren McAuliffe (Universal Ruler-2009 & The Velvet King-2021) and Justin Warwick (Material Man-2018 & Wink And A Nod (2016) are dual winners.
BELMONT SPRINT GENDER
- The boys have it over the girls by a big margin.
- Mares have won it on nine occasions, the last Perfect Jewel.
BELMONT SPRINT BARRIERS SINCE 2000
- Barrier one has recorded five winners.
- Barriers five and six have had four wins apiece.
- No success from barriers four, eight, nine, twelve, fourteen and fifteen.
BELMONT SPRINT/FASTEST TIME
- Fastest time recorded over current distance (1400m): Another Omen. 1:21:68sec. in 1987.
- Snice 2000: Rock Magic. 1:22:48sec.
BELMONT SPRINT AGE
- As seven-year-olds Rock Magic (2017) and Countlike (1970) are the oldest horses to win the Belmont Sprint.
LONGEST-PRICED WINNER SINCE 2000
- Perfect Jewel: $31.
- Universal Ruler: $19
SHORT-PRICED FAVOURITES SINCE 2000
- Galaxy Star: $1.30.
- Luckygray: $1.80
BELMONT SPRINT/ROMA CUP
- Santaland (1968), Firelight (1969), Clear Mak (1973), Craigie Boy (1975), National Boy (1979), Tangiers (1980), Tribula (2003), Modem (2004), Grand Nirvana (2011), Luckygray (2012), Rock Magic (2017).
- Since 2000 seven winners were successful at their previous starts, four of those were first up. The Velvet King (2021), Material Man (2018), Universal Ruler (2009), Corporate Bruce (2001) & News Review (2000).
WINNERS SINCE 2000
|2021||The Velvet King||Mitch Pateman||Darren McAuliffe|
|2020||Perfect Jewel||Pat Carbery||Adam Durrant|
|2019||Galaxy Star||William Pike||Grant Williams|
|2018||Material Man||Lucy Warwick||Justin Warwick|
|2017||Rock Magic||Jarrad Noske||Chris Gangemi|
|2016||Wink And A Nod||Lucy Warwick||Justin Warwick|
|2015||Shining Knight||Peter Hall||Grant Williams|
|2014||Elite Belle||William Pike||Grant Williams|
|2013||Kerrific||Dan Staeck||Bruce Watkins|
|2012||Luckygray||Shaun O’Donnell||Gino Poletti|
|2011||Grand Nirvana||Dan Staeck||Fred Kersley|
|2010||Grand Nirvana||Dan Staeck||Fred Kersley|
|2009||Universal Ruler||Paul Harvey||Darren McAuliffe|
|2008||Marasco||Paul Harvey||Fred Kersley|
|2007||Beat The Storm||Pat Carbery||Ross Price|
|2006||Let Go Thommo||Linc Roberston||Steve Ryan|
|2005||Who Did It||Pat Carbery||Viv Ferrier|
|2004||Modem||Paul Harvey||Trevor Andrews|
|2003||Tribula||Stephen Miller||Arthur Mortimer|
|2002||Dark ‘N’ Dangerous||Troy Turner||Ken Shanks|
|2001||Corporate Bruce||Craig Staples||Hec McLaren|
|2000||New Review||Paul Dyson||Lindsey Smith|