BELMONT SPRINT BACKGROUND
- The Belmont Sprint was first staged in 1963 and won by Free Style, trained by Ray Warn and ridden by Gordon Dickinson.
- It was run over 1200m from 1963-72 & 1974-77, 1300m from 1973 & 1978-81; 1400 since 1982.
- Since 1980 it has held Group 3 status.
- Notable winners included Luckygray, Grand Nirvana, Marasco, Rock Magic, Elite Belle and Let Go Thommo.
BELMONT SPRINT JOCKEYS.
- Paul Harvey and Dan Staeck share the best Belmont Sprint riding record with three wins each.
- Harvey: Modem (2004), Marasco (2008) & Universal Ruler (2009).
- Staeck: Grand Nirvana (2010-2011) & Kerrific (2013).
- Danny Miller, John Wilson, Mark Sestich, Paul Dyson, Linc Robertson and Pat Carbery are dual winners of the Belmont Sprint.
- Staeck Harvey and Wilson are the only hoops to win the Belmont Sprint in successive years.
- Father and son Ross and Craig Staples share bragging rights; the former guided home Clear Mak (1973), the latter followed up on Corporate Bruce (2001).
- Current day trainers Jim Taylor (Global Impact), Michael Lane (Il Ferrari) and Stephen Miller (Tribula) have recorded one win each.
BELMONT SPRINT TRAINERS
- Fred Kersley has trained a record four Belmont Sprint’s. His first arrived in 1993 courtesy of Dynamor and continued with Marasco (2008), Grand Nirvana (2010-2011).
- Kersley leads by two over Grant Williams, Buster O’Malley, Harold Campbell and Brian Boyle,
- Boyle and Williams are the only successive trainers of the race. Boyle: National Boy (1978-1979), Williams: Elite Belle and Shining Knight (2014-2015).
BELMONT SPRINT GENDER
- In 54 editions of the Belmont Sprint the boys have it over the girls.
- 36 colts and geldings have recorded wins.
- Fillies and mare have been successful on nine occasions.
- Horses have also won the race nine times.
- The last mare to win: Wink And A Nod (2016).
- Burgess Queen was a two-year-old filly when successful in 1977.
BELMONT SPRINT BARRIERS
- Barriers one and five have recorded seven wins
- Barrier one has been successful in three of the past four years.
- Barriers two and eight are the second most successful starting positions.
- Barrier 14 and 15 have not recoded wins.
BELMONT SPRINT/FASTEST TIME
- Fastest time recorded over current distance: Another Omen-1.21.68 in 1987.
BELMONT SPRING AGE
- Four and five-year-old’s have won the race on 17 and 14 times respectively.
- Six-year-olds have been successful on six occasions
- Three three-year-old’s have shone through.
- The oldest horse to win a Belmont Sprint in the modern era was Rock Magic, as a seven-year-old last year.
BELMONT SPRINT/ROMA CUP
- Santaland (1968), Firelight (1969), Clear Mac (1973), National Boy (1979), Tangiers (1980), Tribula (2003), Modem (2004), Grand Nirvana (2011) and Luckygray (2012).
|2017||Rock Magic||Chris Gangemi||Jarrad Noske|
|2016||Wink And A Nod||Justin Warwick||Lucy Warwick|
|2015||Shining Knight||Grant Williams||Peter Hall|
|2014||Elite Belle||Grant Williams||William Pike|
|2012||Luckygray||Gino Poletti||Shaun O’Donnell|
|2011||Grand Nirvana||Fred Kersley||Dan Staeck|
|2010||Grand Nirvana||Fred Kersley||Dan Staeck|
|2009||Universal Ruler||Darren McAuliffe||Paul Harvey|
|2008||Marasco||Fred Kersley||Paul Harvey|