CYRIL FLOWER STAKES-BACKGROUND
• Marjoleo, Heron Bridge, Watermans Bay and Black Heart Bart are some of the best Western Australian sprinters to have graced the Cyril Flower Stakes honour roll, one of two feature races at Ascot on Saturday.
• The Cyril Flower Stakes, a Listed race, that is now worth $100,000, was first staged in 1974 and won by Cambana Lad, a five-year-old son of Zahedan, who won over 1200m.
- Geoff Roberts became the first trainer two win the Cyril Flower Stakes in successive years when he prepared Corporate Gun (1999-2000).
- Stelmach, who trained, On Target (2005-2007), Neville Parnham, who handled Irish Pride (2002) and Tarzi (2009) and Peter Giadresco, who put the polish on Devils Dance (2004) and Watermans Bay (2013) are dual winners of the Cyril Flower Stakes.
- Dan Morton has won the Cyril Flower Stakes previously, but as a jockey when he partnered his trainer father, Len Morton’s horse, Dark Beau (1989).
- Alana Williams has her name engraved on the Cyril Flower Stakes trophy twice after riding Devil’s Dance (2004) and On Target (2005).
- Williams’ co-trainer and partner Grant prepared Amorino to victory in 2014.
- Mark Sestich and Rod Kemp are the most prolific winners of the Cyril Flower Stakes.
- Sestich posted his wins with White Tiger (1985), Island Gossip (1990) and Corporate Gun (2000).
- Kemp landed his first win on Western Coast in 1979 and followed up with Wynton Lad (1984) and Even Row (1986).
- Jason Oliver, Shaun O’Donnell, Paul Harvey, Pat Carbery and Alana Williams are dual winners.
- Shaun O’Donnell became the first rider to win back-to-back Cyril Flower Stakes after steering Caliway (1993) and Sir Tinka (1994).
- Barrier one and five are the most successful starting positions with seven wins each.
- Barrier six has six wins and barrier four five victories.
- No winner has commenced from barrier eight, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen and sixteen.
- Battle Hero carried the biggest weight to victory: 60kg last year (2018).
- Geldings have won the race on 32 occasions including the past 17 editions.
- Pure Gamble (1980) is the sole filly to have won the Cyril Flower Stakes.
- Even Row (1986) and Bumbelina (2001) are the two winning mares.
- Four-year-olds have 18 wins, five-year-olds nine and six-year-olds eight victories since 1974.
- Heron Bridge (1987) as a nine-year-old is the oldest horse to win the Cyril Flower Stakes
- Hadabeclorka was an eight-year-old when he secured the 2010 win.
- Tropical Swell (1982) and Escadaire (2011) are two seven-year-olds to have been successful.
|2018||Battle Hero||Jarrod Noske||Chris Gangemi|
|2017||Great Shot||Craig Staples||Rhys Radford|
|2016||Dream Lifter||Mitchell Pateman||Paul Hunter|
|2015||Black Heart Bart||Glen Smith||Vaughn Sigley|
|2014||Amorino||William Pike||Grant Williams|
|2013||Watermans Bay||Troy Turner||Peter Giadresco|
|2012||Westriver Kevydonn||Pat Carbery||Paige Kenney|
|2011||Escadaire||Raquel Williams||Kyra Yuill|
|2010||Hadabeclorka||Brent Larsson||Peter Knuckey|
|2009||Tarzi||Neville Parnham||Brad Parnham|