HYPERION STAKES OVERVIEW
- The Hyperion Stakes was first run in 1972 and won by St Just.
- It has held Group 3 status since 1980 when won by Tsunami.
- It has been run over distances from 1000m in 1972 & 1973, 1200m in 1974 and 1400m since 1975 except for 1979 when 1450m and 1983 1500m.
- In 2005 the race was staged at Belmont Park.
- The 2005 edition was a dead-heat between Lakeside Rhythm and Ambers Halo.
- Notable winners include Detonator (1976), Asian Beau (1979), Fimiston (1988), Heron Bridge (1984-86), Jacks Or Better (1995). Luckygray (2012) and Scales Of Justice (2017).
- Multiple winners are Cambana Lad (1974-1975), Heron Bridge (1984-1986) and Marasco (2008-2010).
- Three riders share three wins in the Hyperion Stakes: Stephen Miller, Paul Harvey and Jason Brown.
- Miller: Brave Kite (1994), Bar Dreamer (1997) & Old Fashion (2002).
- Brown: Country Blazer (2001), Tribula (2003) & Mo Questions (2007).
- Harvey: Willoughby (1998), Local Legend (2006) & Marasco (2008).
- Jeff Noske rode Star System (1999) and his son, Jarrad, had a win aboard Fuchsia Bandana (2008).
- Current day riders Dan Staeck with Marasco (2010) and Scales Of Justice (2017) and Shaun O’Donnell aboard Luckygray (2012) and Lakeside Rhythm (2005) and Lucy Warwick on Wink And A Nod (2016) and Material Man (2018) are dual Hyperion Stakes winners.
- Keith Watson and Ian Albuino are also two-time Hyperion Stakes winners.
- Lucy Warwick is the sole female rider to win the Hyperion Stakes.
- Vern Brockman and Justin Warwick share three Hyperion Stakes victories.
- Brockman became the first trainer to take out the race in consecutive years: Alpine Wind (1977), Junction Girl (1978) and Old Fashion (2002).
- Warwick won it with Black Tycoon (2013), Wink And A Nod (2016) and Material Man (2018).
- Current day trainers Fred Kersley, who prepared Marasco (2008-2010) and Ross Price, successful with Medicine Kid (1990) and Jungle Hero (1992).
- Price’s brother, John, now based in Melbourne, prepared Local Legend (2006) to victory.
- Paula Wagg is the sole female trainer to win Hyperion Stakes in 2005: Lakeside Rhythm
- Barrier one has been the most successful starting position with nine wins.
- Next is gate four with seven victories including five out of the past 11 years.
- Barriers two and five have been successful on six occasions.
- Barriers 11, 14, 15 and 16 have not recoded wins.
- Geldings have the best strike rate with 27 Hyperion wins.
- Mares have won it on nine occasions including three out of the past five years.
- Horses have won it eight times.
- Three colts have been successful: Asian Beau (1979), Sky Filou (1987) & Devilish Dealer (2000).
- No fillies have been successful.
- Five-year-olds have taken out the Hyperion Stakes on 18 occasions.
- Four-year-olds have won 12 times.
- Heron Bridge, as an eight-year-old, is the oldest horse to win the Hyperion Stakes in 1986.
BELMONT SPRINT/HYPERION STAKES DOUBLE
- Tribula (2003), Marasco (2008), Luckygray (2012), Elite Belle (2014), Wink And A Nod (2016) & Material Man (2018).
PAST WINNERS FROM 2000
|2018||Material Man||Lucy Warwick||Justin Warwick|
|2017||Scales Of Justice||Dan Staeck||Lindsey Smith|
|2016||Wink And A Nod||Lucy Warwick||Justin Warwick|
|2015||Fuchsia Bandana||Jarrad Noske||Darren McAuliffe|
|2014||Elite Belle||William Pike||Grant Williams|
|2013||Black Tycoon||Troy Turner||Justin Warwick|
|2012||Luckygray||Shaun O’Donnell||Gino Poletti|
|2011||King Kool Kat||Duncan Miller||Ian Glading|
|2010||Marasco||Paul Harvey||Fred Kersley|
|2009||Tarzi||Steven Parnham||Neville Parnham|
|2008||Marasco||Paul Harvey||Fred Kersley|
|2007||No Questions||Jason Brown||Trevor Andrews|
|2006||Local Legend||Paul Harvey||John Price|
|2005||Ambers Halo||Jason Whiting||Alan Mathews|
|2005||Lakeside Rhythm||Shaun O’Donnell||Paula Wagg|
|2004||Dedicated Miss||Jason Miller||Geoff Durrant|
|2003||Tribula||Jason Brown||Arthur Mortimer|
|2002||Old Fashion||Stephen Miller||Vern Brockman|
|2001||Country Blazer||Jason Brown||Jim Taylor|
|2000||Devilish Dealer||Mark Sestich||Paul Jordan|