PRINCE OF WALES STAKES: OVERVIEW
The Prince Of Wales Stakes was first run in 1969 and won by Sherolythe. It has held Group 3 status since 1979. The 2018 edition of the race consists of a field of 10 starters.
PRINCE OF WALES STAKES: TRAINERS
- Jim Taylor stands out on his own with four winners in a decade: Golden Delicious (2004), Idyllic Prince (2007-2009) and Barakey (2013).
- David Harrison is next with a hat trick of wins: Century Blazer (1995) and Waratah’s Secret (2010-2011).
- Simon Miller and Chris Gangemi can become the seventh horseman to win the Prince Of Wales Stakes on two occasions.
- Miller, who saddles, Caipirinha, enjoyed success with Power Princess in 2012.
- Saracino, Lockroy, Super Maxi and Durendal lead Gangemi’s four pronged attack. He won his first with Rock Magic (2016).
- Dan Morton (Dainty Tess) is out to become the first trainer since David Harrison (Waratah’s Secret-2010-2011) to win the Prince Of Wales Stakes in successive years.
- Daniel & Ben Pearce (Agent Pippa), Peter & Matt Giadresco (Profit Street) and Adam Durrant (State Solicitor) are looking to be first time winners of the Prince Of Wales Stakes.
PRINCE OF WALES: JOCKEYS
- Jason Brown and Ian Albuino lead the way with four wins each in the Prince Of Wales Stakes. The former partnered Golden Delicious (2004), Idyllic Prince (2007-2009) and Barakey (2013). The latter combined with Golden Heights (1980), Latin Saint (1981), Fimiston (1988) and Pago’s King (1992).
- Peter Knuckey (Super Maxi) and William Pike (Celebrity Dream) will aim to join Stephen Miller, Paul King and Frank ‘Tiger’ Moore as triple winners.
- Knuckey won previously with Daring Hombre (1993) and Power Princess (2012) and Pike partnered Dark Target (2008) and Elite Belle (2014).
- Shaun McGruddy (Durendal), Mitchell Pateman (Profit Street), Shaun O’Donnell (Lockroy), Peter Hall (State Solicitor), Joe Azzopardi (Caipirinha) and Randy Tann (Agent Pippa) are searching for maiden wins in the race.
- Peter Hall has gone close previously, two runner-up finishes when combining with Grand Nirvana (2011) and Royal Lott (2008).
PRINCE OF WALES STAKES: GENDER
- Geldings have dominated the race since its inception, winning 28 times. A 29th success rests with Durendal, Lockroy, State Solicitor, Saracino and Super Maxi.
- Dainty Tess, Caipirinha and Celebrity Dream will attempt to end a lean run for mares, nine have been successful since 1969.
PRINCE OF WALES STAKES: BARRIERS:
- Barrier one has produced 11 wins, the most successful of any starting position in the Prince Of Wales Stakes. State Solicitor has drawn barrier one for the 2018 edition.
- Barrier four is the next best starting gate with six wins. Lockroy has drawn this position on Saturday.
- Super Maxi and Agent Pippa start from barriers three and seven respectively, the next best gate positions with five wins each.
- Only two horse has taken out the race out from barrier 10. Profit Street is looking to extend that record.
PRINCE OF WALES STAKES: AGE
- Super Maxi, Dainty Tess, Caipirinha, Saracino, represent five-year-olds who have won 13 editions of the Prince Of Wales Stakes-a race best.
- Durendal, Profit Street and Lockroy will attempt to become the seventh seven-year-old’s to win the Prince Of Wales Stakes.
- Agent Pippa can join Red Crescent (1970), Solid Gold (1972), Belinda’s Star (1975), Burgess Queen (1977), Daring Hombre (1993)Jacks Or Better (1994) and Real Mak (2006) are three-year-old winners.
PRINCE OF WALES STAKES: LEAD-UP RACES
- Since 2000 eight of the previous winners of the Prince Of Wales Stakes either won or placed at their previous starts and six won first-up.
- Dainty Tess and Agent Pippa are last-start winners.
- Durendal, Lockroy and Celebrity Dream were placed last-start.
- Profit Street and Saracino are first-up.
- State Solicitor, Super Maxi and Caipirinha were unplaced last-start.