“Racing Queensland has failed, and that started with the boards” Queensland premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said when telling state parliament she has abolished “all of the boards associated with the racing industry in Queensland”.
The drastic action follows the scathing report released on Monday into live baiting from the Commission of Inquiry, headed by Alan MacSporran QC.
RQ CEO Darren Condon has also been stood down from his position and asked to show cause why he shouldn’t lose his job.
Condon has been under fire since the live baiting issue hit the headlines earlier this year with revelations his office received an email detailing concerns about live baiting last October. An “administrative error” was blamed for not looking into the matter further.
“Today we are starting a clean slate,” The ABC reported, Palaszczuk said. “We have appointed Mr Ian Hall from KPMG to advise on implementation of interim administrative arrangements and to ensure effective ongoing management of Racing Queensland.
“All Queenslanders want a racing industry that is based on integrity and proper animal welfare, not one that is characterised by cruelty, dishonesty and, at best, dubious regulation and an environment in which there is a failure of simple compliance measures.
“My government will deliver that.
“Today, I have directed the Minister [for Sport and Racing] to abolish all of the boards associated with the racing industry in Queensland – namely the Queensland All Codes Racing Industry Board, the Queensland Greyhound Racing Board, the Queensland Harness Racing Board and the Queensland Thoroughbred Racing Board.”