ROMA CUP BACKGROUND
- Perth’s premier winter sprint was first run in 1966 and won by Summer Storm, a six-year-old gelding that was trained by Harold Campbell and ridden by Danny Miller.
- The Roma Cup was run over 2000m in 1966, 1600m in 1967, 1968 & 1974, 1400m in 1969-70 and 1200m from 1980. From 1980 it has held Group 3 status.
- In 1968 Drynoch was first past the post but lost on protest to Santaland.
ROMA CUP JOCKEYS
- Tom Pike and Paul Harvey hold the best Roma Cup riding record with four wins:
- Pike: Firelight (1969), Star Glitter (1971), Tangiers (1980) & Hanging On (1986)
- Harvey: Papillion (1999), Star System (2000m), Modem (2004) & No Questions (2007).
- Mark Sestich, Paul Dyson and Paul King have won the race on three occasions.
ROMA CUP TRAINERS
- Albie Beckett, Len Pike, Brian Boyle, Buster O’Malley, Trevor Andrews, Jim Taylor and Fred Kersley have won the Roma Cup a record equalling three times.
- Beckett: Chemech (1967), Wabasso (1994) & Double Blue (1998).
- Pike: Firelight (1969), Super Red (1976) & Hangin In (1986).
- Boyle: Bernvale (1972), Private Section (1977) & National Boy (1979).
- O’Malley: Wild Side (1982-1983) & Century God (1990).
- Andrews: Modem (2004), No Questions (2007) & Luckygray (2015).
- Taylor: Avenida Madero (2005), Vain Raider (2010) & Magnifisio (2014).
- Kersley: Is Amazing (2006)& Grand Nirvana (2009-2011).
- Taylor prepared Avenida Madero (2005), Vain Raider (2010) and Magnifisio (2014).
- Grant Williams, now in co-partnership with partner Alana Williams, won the 2016 Roma Cup with Battle Hero.
- Alana Williams can win it a second time after riding Tribula in 2003.
ROMA CUP GENDER
- Geldings have won the Roma Cup on 30 occasions including eight out of the past 10 years.
- Entires have taken out the race seven times and mares on nine occasions, the latest Magnifisio (2014).
ROMA CUP BARRIERS.
- Barrier four is the most successful Roma Cup starting position with seven wins.
- Barriers five, six and 10 have the next best record with six wins each.
- Barriers one has taken the race out five times.
- Barriers two, three and 11 have won four races apiece.
- Barriers 13, 14 and 15 are the least successful with no wins.
MULTIPLE ROMA CUP WINNERS
Multiple Roma Cups: Clear Mak (1973-1974), Tangiers (1980-1981), Wild Side (1982-1983), Doctor Golly (1992-1993), Grand Nirvana (2009-2011), Luckygray (2012-14).