The WA Government have announced that until 6pm Friday 5 February, the Perth metropolitan, Peel and South West regions have entered a five-day lockdown.
In accordance with these new requirements, Racing and Wagering Western Australia (RWWA) have been advised by the WA Government that no race meetings are able to be conducted during the five-day period.
To ensure the welfare of the State’s racing animals, trackwork will still be permitted at all racetracks from tomorrow, Tuesday 2 February. However, participants located within affected areas must only attend trackwork at a racetrack within their respective region.
The following strict bio-security measures will apply to those attending racetracks for trackwork:
Access to Racetracks for Trackwork
Only essential racing personnel are to attend trackwork, including:
- Licensed jockeys, drivers or trackwork riders participating in trackwork
- Licensed trainers with horses participating in trackwork
- Registered stable staff of trainers with horses participating in trackwork
- RWWA staff and officials
- Race club staff and officials
Good Hygiene Practices & Social Distancing
The following good hygiene and social distancing practices must be adhered to at all times when attending racetracks:
- Staying home if you are unwell.
- Masks are to be worn at all times.
- Social distancing of 1.5 metres from others where possible, including only one person in a horse stall at any point in time.
- No unnecessary physical contact with others — e.g. physical greetings such as handshakes and hugs.
- Washing your hands regularly for at least 20 seconds with soap and water or an alcohol-based sanitiser.
- Covering your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze, using a flexed elbow or a tissue. If you use a tissue, dispose of it immediately and appropriately.
Race clubs are to maintain general and sensible hygiene practices. This includes ensuring hand sanitisers are placed in appropriate areas, as well as implementing increased cleaning routines in high touch points across racing facilities.
RWWA will continue to work with the WA Government to recommence racing in WA as soon as possible.
All information regarding COVID-19 restrictions for racing in WA will be available here. Please continue to monitor this page for any further updates.
Information regarding the latest WA Government announcements can be found here.